Why is language important?
Oral language is the cornerstone of a child’s future success.
Good language skills are the foundation for learning how to read.
But language skills aren’t just needed for reading, they’re needed for developing abilities across the whole curriculum.
They are also critical for children’s social and emotional development – how can children play with their friends if they can’t join in with the conversation?
Language difficulties are not just important at school, they have effects throughout a person’s life. Children with poor language skills go on to receive poor qualifications, have lower incomes, reduced employment opportunities and are more likely to suffer from mental health issues.
The good news is that, if identified early, oral language skills can be improved by suitable language interventions.
Early assessment of language abilities means no child needs to be left behind.
What makes LanguageScreen different?
- Quick and easy to use
- No paper marking or calculations
- Safe and GDPR compliant
- Suitable for ages 3½ to 8 years
- 10 minutes per test
- Colourful and fun for kids
- Instant results, detailed report
- No training required
- Developed by a team at the University of Oxford
- Scientifically proven to identify children with language difficulties
- Can be used with evidence-based interventions such the Nuffield Early Language Intervention (NELI)
Education Resource Award 2022 finalist
Early Years Resource or Equipment
What an amazing app! So quick and easy to administer, and accessing the data afterwards was painless.Claudine Bowyer-Crane
National Institute of Economic and Social Research